CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

13.10.07

How do you respond to this...

If God doesn't speak to you how do you know He is there?

This was asked of me a few days ago, and I honestly had no response. What do you say to that? The person went on to ask:

How do you know your not making all these sacrifices for nothing?

How do you know God is real if you can't actually feel Him?

How do you know Christianity is the right religion and that everything in the Bible is true? Can't it just be humans writing this stuff down in order to fill the basic questions every human asks?

I wish I could respond to these questions... I wish I had the answers... I wish someone had the answers... I wish they didn't make my head spin in wonderment of God...

So... I decided to google "God" out of curiosity and this is the website I found: http://godisimaginary.com/
This site had 50 reasons why God is imaginary...

It is easy to prove to yourself that God is imaginary. The evidence is all around you. Here are 50 simple proofs:
Try praying
Statistically analyze prayer
Look at all historical gods
Think about science
Read the Bible
Ponder God's plan
Understand religious delusion
Think about Near Death Experiences
Understand ambiguity
Watch the offering plate
Notice that there is no scientific evidence
See the magic
Take a look at slavery
Examine Jesus' miracles
Examine Jesus' resurrection
Contemplate the contradictions
Think about Leprechauns
Imagine heaven
Notice that you ignore Jesus
Notice your church
Understand Jesus' core message
Count all the people God wants to murder
Listen to the Doxology
Ask why religion causes so many problems
Understand evolution and abiogenesis
Notice that the Bible's author is not "all-knowing"
Think about life after death
Notice how many gods you reject
Think about communion
Examine God's sexism
Understand that religion is superstition
Talk to a theologian
Contemplate the crucifixion
Examine your health insurance policy
Notice Jesus' myopia
Realize that God is impossible
Think about DNA
Contemplate the divorce rate among Christians
Realize that Jesus was a jerk
Understand Christian motivations
Flip a coin
Listen when "God talks"
Realize that a "hidden God" is impossible
Think about a Christian housewife
Consider Noah's Ark
Ponder Pascal's Wager
Contemplate Creation
Compare prayer to a lucky horseshoe
Look at who speaks for God
Ask Jesus to appear




This made me so sad... and I feel like as a Christian I should have responses to these questions and even to these "proofs" that God is imaginary... but I don't... I can't feel God, I don't hear Him speaking, but I do know He is there... I just don't know how to communicate that with other people.

but ya know... all that comes to mind with these questions is a song that is my heart to God:


I can't feel You like others around me
I don't feel like kneeling or closing my eyes
Is there something wrong with my heart that I can't see?
Or do You feel love still when nobody cries?
'Cause I know in my heart how bad my I want to touch You
You must sense this love my soul barely contains
No lack of desire in this desert to worship
I keep singing skyward it just never rains
So I'll praise You if I never feel You
And I'll love You cause I know You're there
and if You should choose so I'm sure one day I'll feel it
But feeling good's never the reason I cared
Father, I praise You because You are
Jesus, I love You because You are
Spirit, I worship You because You are
And if no one can see that Your love's moving me
I worship You still and forever will
Because You are

1 comments:

Rachel said...

Intriguing thoughts we have all had! And what an amazing song! It's one of my favorites I haven't listened to in awhile. Great reminders! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!